PSOB Disability Benefits Claim


We are now acting as a liaison between the Baltimore Police and the PSOB to assist Baltimore Police that have become disabled in the line of duty and feel they might be eligible for PSOB benefits. It is important to read the qualifications close to make sure you meet the requirements, and that you carefully obtain all the needed documentation,

Medically retired officers, or their representatives, and their former employing public safety agency must submit the following documents concerning the line-of-duty injury to file a disability claim with the PSOB Office:

Report of Public Safety Officer’s Permanent and total Disability claim form: This form must be completed and signed by the disabled officer (or representative) and the head of your former employing agency. Benefits Provider information: A letter or affidavit from the agency’s benefits provider stating the disabled officer is receiving the maximum allowable disability compensation for public safety officers in the agency. This must be on the provider’s letterhead and signed by an authorized official. The benefits provider may be a retirement fund or a government workers’ compensation office. Please note that, for purposes of the PSOB Disability Program, Social Security does not qualify as a benefits provider, even though the officer may be receiving funds from that source. Circumstances of injuries: A statement signed by the head of the former employing agency, on agency letterhead, that includes the officer’s name and title, when and where the incidents occurred, what initiated them, and the nature of the injuries. This statement must also indicate the date on which the officer was medically retired from the agency. Agency investigation (accident/collision/ reconstructive) reports:These reports should contain information relevant to each incident and injury that contributed to the officer’s permanent and total disability. If these reports are unavailable, a statement to that effect must be signed and submitted by the head of the former employing agency. Official toxicology catastrophic reports: If available, these reports must be signed by the official who performed the toxicology analysis immediately following each injury. If a toxicology analysis is not available, a statement to that effect must be signed and submitted by the head of the former employing agency. Tax returns: A copy of each state, local, and federal tax return filed by or on behalf of the public safety officer from the year before the injury to the current year. medical Documentation:Medical documentation must include admission and discharge summaries from each medical facility in which the officer was treated for each of the injuries, as well as a final medical diagnosis. Claimant Statement: A brief statement signed by the disabled officer or representative must also be submitted, that addresses the following questions:

1. What is the highest educational level the disabled officer achieved? Has the disabled officer completed any special training or courses, including military training?

2. Has the disabled officer received any formal vocational evaluations or vocational rehabilitative treatment? If so, what is their current status?

3. Has the disabled officer worked at any job following the injuries? If so, where?

A unique partnership effort of the U.S. Department of Justice; local,   state, tribal, and federal public safety agencies; and national organizations, the Public Safety Officers' Benefits (PSOB) Programs provide death and education benefits to survivors of fallen law   enforcement officers, firefighters, and other first responders, and disability benefits to officers catastrophically injured in the line of duty. The BJA PSOB Office is honored to review the nearly 700   claims submitted each year on behalf of America's fallen and   catastrophically disabled public safety heroes and their loved ones.     

    how disability 2    how edu claim 2

   CONTACT US: Public Safety Officers’ Benefits Office Bureau of Justice Assistance Office of Justice Programs 810 Seventh Street NW. Fourth Floor Washington, DC 20531 Phone: 202–307–0635 Toll-free: 1–888–744–6513 E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  For more information visit the PSOB website: